Fylde: Betty Bates (12), Alan Morton (14), Philip Bass (18) and Catherine Bass (22).
Crake: Howard Bowron (3.5), Jim Alcock (5), David Lloyd (8), David Williamson (22).

King of Spades in Play.

For the first match of the season, a lovely sunny day with a very cold wind much of the time, against a picturesque Lake District backdrop. The win could have gone either way with two matches lost by a single point.

The hoops were quite tight and all but one match went to time. In the morning doubles, Betty was on fire, making some long roquets and tough hoops but Catherine found it hard to get going - plenty of opportunities to run hoops but failing to execute. Fylde were ahead by two points for most of the game. With ten minutes remaining, Betty was on Rover, Catherine and David on 1-Back and Jim on 4-Back. After attempts from David and Catherine, Jim got in and went to peg after time, leaving Fylde split up. Fylde couldn’t connect and Crake took the match 18-17.

On the other lawn, Philip, a great hoop runner from angles, was finding that the tight hoops didn’t suit his style and lost out 19-10. Alan was our only morning winner, taking his match 11-15 after time. Fish and chips all round with mushy peas and tea for lunch from the Chippy a very short walk away. (Greenodd has a village shop, garage and a very large Wine Merchant across the road from the Club, declaring itself “We Are Open, Push the Door” even at 9.30 on a Sunday morning. Sounds like a great place to live!) With the cold conditions enduring into the afternoon, Betty’s earlier fire had cooled and she found it difficult to hit in.

Howard, the only Crake loser in the morning, was determined to win and eventually pegged out. Despite this, Betty did manage some incredibly long roquets and her terrific jump shot to clear tricky Hoop 4, caught the attention of Crake’s David Lloyd on the other lawn, who promptly executed two similar jump shots of his own. Alan continued to push for victory but, after time, David L, emerged the winner 16-15. Catherine and David W were skirting round each other, reserving bisques and seldom managing to set up breaks, taking one or two hoops at a time. For most of the match, David was just ahead by two points but Catherine saw an opportunity with 20 minutes and three bisques remaining and managed a break, scoring three hoops to put her ahead for the first time.

This energised David, who also used up his remaining bisques. When Catherine returned to the lawn, she managed to hit in and split David up. David was unable to get the connection and the match finished 12-14. Philip was still unable to use his strengths but managed two extra hoops in the afternoon, as Jim took the match 20-12. Hopefully, now that the lawns are open and most lawn treatment work complete, Philip can spend more of the time spent at the lawns practicing.

BB/CB lost to JA/DW -1
AM bt HB +4
PB lost to DL -9
BB lost to HB -18
AM lost to DL -1
CB bt DW +2
PB lost to JA -8

Posted by Catherine 23rd April